Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, March 1, 2013

Thank you all

Thank you everyone for the huge outpouring of love and support you have shown.  I was keeping up with Facebook early in the induction process then stopped when things really got going.  After the birth, I of course gave Naomi my undivided attention, which means I now have 186 Facebook notifications to catch up on (eventually!  And I think it may be more as I just realized Facebook keeps resetting the count).  So know that while I do appreciate everyone reaching out, it will be some time before I see it all, and there won't be many individual replies from me.

I plan on writing out the full birth story soon, but the brief version is that the induction was very smooth and easy.  I got one dose of misoprostol at around 9:30AM.  That got things going enough that I did not get any other induction interventions.  My water spontaneously broke at 2:23PM which is when I would say real labor began, and Naomi entered this world at 6:46PM.  As far as labor and delivery goes, it was physically easier by far than either of my other births and I feel fortunate in how well that worked out.

As planned, Naomi went immediately to my chest for skin-to-skin contact after she was born.  She did not appear to be breathing and was limp and lethargic.  I asked if she was alive and was told the cord was not pulsing, so she appeared to have been born still.  After laying on me for a bit she surprised us all with a large gasp for air, then was still again.  She then let out a second gasp, after which I asked them to check her heartbeat.  It was beating!  Brian and I both took turns listening to that beautiful sound via stethoscope.  Naomi then started slowly breathing more regularly and pinking up.  She was covered in a thick layer of vernix so stayed against my chest as her skin eventually soaked it in.

The hospital had a private waiting area for our family that was right next door to my room.  After the placenta was delivered and things cleaned up a bit, grandparents and my sister and BIL were able to come in and meet Naomi.  The hospital chaplain also came and Naomi Grace was baptized.  Big sister and big brother came in to meet her and the entire family stayed and celebrated with us until late into the night.

Naomi was a fighter as despite her dropping oxygen saturation levels and struggling to maintain her breathing, her heart continued beating.  We stayed up until probably around 5AM, thinking she was going to leave us soon, until we finally laid down for some sleep.  Naomi slept in my arms and the nurse agreed to check on her frequently for us so that we could relax more.  We still woke several times before getting up around 8AM.  Right before 10AM the nurse checked on us again, including checking Naomi's heart rate.  Naomi was in my arms and suddenly something seemed different about her.  I could not feel a heartbeat so asked Brian to check.  The nurse popped back in for something she had forgotten, so was right there to listen again with her stethoscope and confirmed that her heartbeat had stopped.  It was a very peaceful passing, and Brian and I are both relieved and grateful that she did not appear to be in any pain during her final moments.  We had another 8 hours with her before saying goodbye at 6PM.

We are planning a funeral service for 5-7PM EST on Monday, March 4th.  All friends and family are invited to join us if they wish to, and there will be pictures and video shared of her lifetime.  The burial service will be held the next day, on Tuesday the 5th, and will be private for family only.  In lieu of flowers, please consider donating to The Shepherd's Crook Ministries, designated in memory of Naomi Grace.  http://theshepherdscrook.org/donate/now/  We cannot do anything to bring our baby girl back, but funds donated will help another baby get home to his or her family.

20 comments:

  1. So touching. Carrying that precious little girl for nine months and delivering her, enjoying her short time with you, it was truly all an act of worship. What a testimony of your faith. Thank you for sharing this with us. I eagerly look forward to hearing your wonderful birth story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us. It is truly moving and has blessed me to my core. I am grateful for your decisions and for your willingness to share with those of us not close enough to have met dear Naomi. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Naomi with us. You and your family are in our hearts, minds, and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My God, Sarah, you are beautiful. I am in awe of your family, and especially, of you. Naomi chose an incredible mother. -Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your precious baby girl with us. She has touched so many hearts. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an honour to have you share your story and your precious Naomi with us. Praying for God's comfort and love to wash over you all again and again in the coming weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful day... I am so thankful for how everything went - and will keep you in prayer in the coming weeks. I am here if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your precious daughter. I'm so glad you got time with your little girl. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Brian have such a beautiful way of treasuring Naomi Grace, and are very brave to open your own hearts to pain so that she could have a beautiful little life. :) God bless you, Sarah.

    Also, I love that you are asking for donations to Shepherd's Crook Ministries -- so awesome. :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so beautiful and amazing Sarah. You are truly an amazing human being. - Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am praising GOd fof His mercy comfort and peace. Thank you Sarah and family for being such faithful servants under tremendous challenge. We look forward to meeting Naomi Grace one day.

    In His Love,
    Brenda Styer and family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing Naomi Grace with all of us. You and your family are amazing. Your sweet little girl has touched so many lives and so many hearts. Thank you for this gift. - Petra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sarah, Brian and your family. Naomi Grace was named well and lived well. Thank you for allowing all of us to journey with you and her these last 9 and a half months. You are an inspiration to us all. May God bless you all and give you strength and courage as you grieve your loss and remember and celebrate her precious little life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing in every way. Prayers, peace and love to you and your family.--Kathy Long

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for taking the time to share the story of her life. I'm glad she got to spend every second she had with her family loving her. Keeping all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Prayers and good wishes. Thank you for sharing your amazing story and the life of your precious daughter. Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for you Sarah. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah I am so sorry! I was reading this at work and started crying! I will pray for you and her and your family stay strong everyone at Kohls sends their love!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. You and your family remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot even begin to express how much I admire you for carrying your precious Naomi to term, giving birth to her, having her baptized, and allowing her to live and die with dignity - the dignity with which our loving God created her. You are a true inspiration. I am praying for you. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete